Monday, September 17, 2012

Vintage Revivals Fail

A few months back, I saw this project on Vintage Revivals:


Most of the time, I know better than to attempt ANYTHING I see online.  But this project seemed ridiculously easy.  I mean, really easy.

So, I started collecting my supplies.  Paint and glaze and brushes were easy enough to buy at the store.  What took a while was finding this:


I needed a picture with enough texture to show through multiple layers of paint and glaze.  I crossed my fingers and hoped this painting had enough of a profile to make my project a success.

It didn't.

Or maybe it's just that I stink at this whole acrylic glazing thing.

What I had hoped would look something like this:


Ended up looking like this:


Ummm.  Yeah.

If I stand really close and stare at it for a long time, I actually begin to like it.  And after a few minutes of staring, I start to think it's rather brilliant.  But then I blink, and we're right back to first impression.

BH was napping when I finished, and in his bleary-eyed state, he was very complimentary.  After he woke up completely (and I had admitted that it was pretty bad), he felt more comfortable telling me it had a distinct Edgar Allen Poe vibe to it.

I'll take that as a compliment.


No comments: