Friday, November 9, 2012

PSA: Removing Water Stains From Wood Furniture


This post provides the answer to one of life's age-old mysteries:

How do you get water stains out of wood furniture?

The solution is unbelievably simple:  you iron them out.

I've read about this before and never bothered to give it any credence.  But last week, after I put another stain in our coffee table, I knew it was time to do something about it.


So I gave it a shot. And guess what?  It worked!

Here's what you need:
  1. An iron, set to Cotton
  2. A thin, white cloth (100% cotton)
Once the iron is nice and hot, place the cloth on the stain and iron away for about 20 seconds.

(I made sure to lift the iron periodically so that it wouldn't auto-shut off...also because I wasn't sure how long the wood could absorb the heat before burning.)

Note:  do not push the steam button.  This is counter-productive to the whole "removing the water stain" goal.

In my case, some spots needed more work than others.  The fresher stains (1 week old) came clear in two rounds of ironing (about 40 seconds total), but the older ones took 3-4 rounds.

And here you go:  before and after. 

Lots of stains.

Hardly any stains.  See book on top left corner to prove it's the same spot.

Word of warning:  if this particular piece of furniture is heirloom quality or holds a high amount of sentimental value, please, please, please iron at your own risk.  I would hate to be the one who gave you the idea that resulted in irreparable damage to your precious item.

But if you're like me, and only spent a few Benjamins on it (that's me trying to be hip with the lingo), go for it.  

3 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I have to say that I LOVE this blog! Especially the title. May I follow? :)

Number Whisperer said...

OE, I would LOVE for you to follow! Thanks!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Then you have a new follower :) feel free to follow mine as well!